"I've never seen, heard nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about." Stephen Hopkins, a Rhode Island delegate to the nation's Constitutional Convention in 1776
Okay okay okay....come on give me a break!! Parents are actually "scared" to let their kids listen to THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES who plans an address to U.S. students this coming Tuesday, Sept 8 to encourage kids to study hard and stay in school.
Before I go off on my opinion of this latest conservative nonsense (it's my opinion and i'm writing it here on my own blog so I can be blatantly "snarky"), please review a few things I have read about the President's speech to school children.
NOTE: I know one of these is a commentary, and not an article, but these days all articles have some type of opinion-laden slant to them. I'm trying to balance the news sources b/c i know many people only get their "news" from one source and then make up their minds on an issue before looking for different sides to the story.
From cnn.com: Many conservatives enraged over Obama school speech
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/04/obama.schools/index.html#cnnSTCText
a quote from the cnn article:
"Thinking about my kids in school having to listen to that just really upsets me," suburban Colorado mother Shanneen Barron told CNN Denver affiliate KMGH. "I'm an American. They are Americans, and I don't feel that's OK. I feel very scared to be in this country with our leadership right now."
From foxnews.com: Some Parents Choose Not to Allow Their Kids to Hear Obama's National Address
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/03/parents-object-obamas-national-address-students/
From the Memphis Commercial Appeal: When did our country start fearing speech?
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/06/when-did-our-country-start-fearing-speech/
an hour later (and donuts consumed) just added this (came from a friend's FB): http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/president-obama-terrorizes-parents-of-school-children/ (pretty funny and i'm glad my kids are naturally immune to PreziFlu!)
Now for My Opinions:
Quickly, before my opinion, I thought it was interesting that cnn.com thought it was important to note that past presidents HAVE addressed school children...of course, Fox fails to mention this.
Yes, I do think it's important for parents to take an active role in raising their own children. And yes, I do agree that there are some instances where parent's should have a choice as to what their children are exposed to. However, I do not really think all parents (and quite possibly these vocal ones who are "scared") truly know (or make themselves aware of) all the stuff that their kids are being exposed to at a public school. Just because this instance has been publicized, they are now acting all "self-righteous" about their rights as parents.
Do these parents get all upset when certain history lessons or current events discussions are in opposition to their beliefs and values (i stole this example from one of the commentaries noted above). Well, they may get upset but do they "storm the school office" and demand that these discussions cease?
If parents have done a good job, why would they be afraid for their children to hear something that is different from their beliefs? Wouldn't their children be equipped with the ability to listen and make their own decisions as to what they think is right and wrong?
Yes, I know we are discussing young children here who may still be impressionable, but seriously, why are these people afraid of an address that is supposed to be a positive message to encourage kids to stay in school and to work hard. Surely conservatives believe in these values? Or have we gone so far in the wrong direction and become so polarized in this country that no matter what the Democrats say, then the conservaties are going to demonize it!?!??!
I have more thoughts on this but have spent too much of my time this morning worrying over it....was killing time until the donuts arrived (they are now exactly 53 minutes late!).
okay, donuts still not here (now 65 mins late) so i had to add: I just sent an e-mail to Jack's principal to find out if his school would be showing Obama's address. I had not heard anything about it. From the fact that the PUBLIC school my child attends chose to allow teachers to NOT show the PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION and the rumor that some children who are not Christian have been discouraged to serve on safety patrol, this issue just may make me "STORM THE OFFICE"!
4 comments:
I'm fairly conservative and did not vote for Obama. I don't think he's the right man to be leading our country. But he is, and I support him.
I don't know where this idea came from that we must shield ourselves and our children from opposing points of view, as if thoughts themselves were dangerous. The only dangerous thoughts are those allowed to go unchallenged. Weightlifters build muscle by resistance, the same way our resolve or our faith itself is strengthened by resistance. If you believe in something, defend it: It will either fail you, which is a good thing because that will allow you to replace it with something more solid; or it will grow, which is also a good thing.
From what I understand, Obama's speech will focus on just what you said, Sheila: Staying in school and working hard. These are not uniquely conservative or liberal values, and I don't understand why that's upsetting people. The only reason I can think of a conservative politician being upset about the President saying it, is because he/she can't then take credit for it.
Reagan addressed schoolchildren in 86, and the first George Bush did the same thing in 91. No one said anything about it. This hoopla about Obama's address is ridiculous.
HOORAY! Mark and I agree on something!!! hee hee!
oh had to add this b/c its just too funny:
http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/president-obama-terrorizes-parents-of-school-children/
I would like to cut and paste Mark's comment, very well written! Yea, it is crazy this debate over his speech....jeez, it's not like he's talking them into drinking the kool-aid! It is however the parents he needs to get his point across to.
Post a Comment