Saturday, September 24, 2016

Proud SCRAPy Achievement - the speech

On the occasion of being awarded the Association of Fundraising Professionals Southern Colorado Chapter's 2016 Fundraising Executive of the Year, here is the speech I delivered last week to my family, friends and colleagues at the US Olympic Training Center.


 




Speech for 2016 AFP’s Southern Colorado’s
Outstanding Fundraising Executive of the Year
Friday, September 16, 2016

Thank you.  I am deeply honored for this recognition and proud of this award.

Thank you for giving me 4 weeks to prepare for this speech…three years ago I took a red-eye to Atlanta for my Mom’s retirement luncheon after serving over 20 years at the St. Pius X Catholic High and when I arrived at her house at 8 am and about to take a nap for a couple of hours before the luncheon, she told me I was going to give a speech about her in front of all my old teachers and coaches…

So since we are all over-achievers in this room today, I am not going to use that little “TRICK” everyone seems to use when that speak in front of large groups where
research tells us about the human brain is only capable of processing or handling 3 points, I am going to present FIVE strategies that I have applied for my personal & professional success, inner peace and happiness.  

So I’ve been reflecting quite a bit on what my parents did for me…WELL THERE ARE MANY things, but one of the greatest things they did for me is that they raised a “SCRAPy” kid.   

I am “SCRAPy”….yes, you heard that right “SCRAPy”…I liked the synonyms that I found for this word:
synonyms:

 

But I actually just created this Mnemonic  --“SCRAPy” 

 

this past few weeks to describe five strategies that have lead to my personal and professional success; inner peace; and happiness.

 

OH, and some of us are VISUAL learners (I did my Masters thesis on visual learning…), so I have these handy “FLASH CARDS” –





HERE IS SCRAPy: 

S
Sagacity/
Life-long Learning
2009 was a year when I gained lots of wisdom and inner strength and discovered the word “SAGACITY”… wisdom, discernment

it’s the year I went back to work after taking a sabbatical with my young kids and the year we lost both my dad and my grandmother.  This past year and a half has been another year of building on my wisdom and inner strength…I lost 8 inches of my colon and my mom and father-in-law.

I have learned from many great people and it is due to them that I am sincerely grateful.  This list is really REALLY LONG b/c I believe in learning so strongly, but I have abridged it to those who I really must remember to say thank you to TODAY:

·      Debbie S – for nominating me for today’s honor
·      All the previous winners of the Outstanding FR Exec – who I have had the honor to meet and learn from; who have amazing successes and “shoes to fill”
·      AFP and other fundraising professionals – sharing “war stories” and tips and ideas to hone my “craft”
·      My TRE “Family” – who are my “partners in crime” and genuinely have faith in my judgement to lead them to a new level of private fundraising success.
·      Leo Arnoult – my mentor and the one who introduced me to 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Pat Lawler who asked me if I had “rocks for brains” when I was about 25 years old
·      Kat, Ed & Mo --  my first friends, my siblings who taught me about “anger management”
·      Jack & Quinn – my amazing kids who teach me as much as I teach them
·      Chris – who teaches me so many things, but most importantly to look at things from a different perspective and not from my own little rose-colored glasses… 


C
Creativity/ Flexibility
Creating an array of ways to engage your board, staff and other volunteers in fundraising and “tricking them into thinking it is FUN!  ;-)

Defining your message to engage investors and supporters in your nonprofit mission can be challenging when there are so many “competing priorities” in society…

Thinking fast – like when you go into an initial meeting with AutoZone and think you are “introducing” a project and they look you straight on and say “How much do you want?” ….gotta have that gift chart READY! 


R
Reliability/
Confidence
“Actions speak louder than words…and some people are full of words.”  
Rather than being a woman of great words, I am more action-oriented and like to get things done.

You see, NOT all of us are polished politicians, preachers or “orators” that can transfix a room full of people and inspire them to action.  My success has come from my actions inspiring actions and the fact that others can rely on me to follow through on my promises…

I was AFTER ALL voted “MOST RELIABLE” my Senior Year of High School.   

I am also extremely confident that I can do whatever I set my mind to accomplish.

A
Authenticity/
Honesty
This is a hard one….many of us are honest, but we are not honest with ourselves.  We try to impress others and put on masks to “play the part”…

Last night Leo reminded me of the story when during an audit of a nonprofit, I blew the whistle on an organization’s Development Officer who wasn’t doing a good job of reconciling the donations with the Finance Department….the ED wanted us to leave it out of the report.  Leo stood by me and we walked away from the project…incidentally 10 years later that ED came back to Leo to apologize and re-hire the firm b/c of our integrity.

TRE hired me when I wore this crazy purple jacket in the interview….i didn’t do it on purpose, I was actually trying to “play the part” b/c I forgot to bring an extra blazer….but ironically enough, my confidence in myself and being my authentic self, wearing this jacket, lead me to landing this job.

Greatest Compliment: People didn’t know he was the CEO…My Dad smoked with everyone else

P
Passion/Love
None of this is worth anything if it is not for the love of others.  I may not agree with a person, but I love that each person has something to teach me. 

I love that I am proud of my ability to raise funds and help strengthen this world for others. 

I love that this is a really crazy world and its one big challenge to figure out how to more perfectly love others in order to make this world better for ALL of us…not just some of us.  

And MOST IMPORTANTLY:  if you are not doing something for LOVE, then why are you WASTING YOUR TIME!?!?



That is SCRAPy….So what does Sheila Collins Ferguson being SCRAPY have to do with being a good fundraiser?? 

I have had the privilege of working in the nonprofit sector for my ENTIRE CAREER –over TWENTY YEARS; and doing a little bit each and every day to make the world a better place. 

I am not flashy about it, nor am I very good at speaking about it, but I have been SCRAPy. 

I have had ups and downs and made terrible mistakes and enjoyed incredible successes…but I took these risks as a tenacious, determined, passionate person who never stops learning in order to drive successful fundraising programs that have made the world a better place for:

  • ·      Educators and students
  • ·      Healthcare workers and their patients
  • ·      Librarians and readers
  • ·      Domestic violence victims
  • ·      Firefighters and first responders
  • ·      Kids in crisis
  • ·      People of faith

·      … and now for the past seven years, perhaps one of the most challenging areas to fundraise as this only represents 2% of our population and it is difficult to message to the community the impact of supporting the mission to build independence for People with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families

I not only believe in the dignity of all people, I believe that every single human being has something important to share with the rest of us.  Some of us cannot even speak, but they have an important message TOO. 

I have been privileged to have a career where my fundraising can “speak” for those who have an important message for the rest of us.   Important messages that make us all a better human race.

I thank you all for this honor today as it inspires me to continue being a SCRAPy fundraiser who works to
  1. solve challenges,
  2. strengthen our community and
  3. provide opportunities for people to follow their own SCRAPy path of

  • Sagacity,
  • Creativity,
  • Reliability,
  • Authenticity, and
  • Passion.



No comments: