Monday, January 19, 2026

Starting a Personal Humanities Self-Study

The other day, Quinn asked if we could go back to college, what would we study and I didn't hesitate to say "Humanities" because that is what I wanted to study, but my father said that I couldn't make enough money to live.

Rabbit-Hole: Q asked what "Humanities" meant and I said the study of art, literature and philosophy. Here's a better definition from National Humanities Center

"From an academic standpoint, the humanities include the study of history, philosophy and religion, modern and ancient languages and literatures, fine and performing arts, media and cultural studies, and other fields....the humanities help us understand and interpret the human experience, as individuals and societies."

Before continuing with the background, those who know me, doesn't this sound just like me and how I have "comported myself" over the years??


I suffered through one year at college taking the basic courses leading to deciding what area of Engineering I would "specialize" in. After nearly losing my scholarship funds receiving a "D" in FORTRAN, (the 2nd one in my life after the one I received for TYPING in high school) and being put on probation (note that NONE of this had ANYTHING to do with my over-the-top social life in college - HAHAHA), I changed to Accounting in my second year. That lasted about one semester and I changed briefly to Telecommunications and then swiftly to Economics & Finance. With all of that, I managed to graduate in 4 years and went straight to graduate school earning an Master in the Arts of Teaching in 1.5 years!

Enough of the background from nearly 40 years ago. Since I was "denied" formal training in the Humanities, I made my own self-study of this creative "sphere" an important part of my "leisure time." This has been mainly achieved by reading, watching films and shows, visiting museums and other points of historical interest, and traveling to new places. This has resulted in my bumbling along discovering many interesting creative, artistic, beautiful, and philosophical works, but it's been so very random. 

It has fulfilled my curiosity and interest in the Humanities so far, and I thoroughly enjoy learning new things, but I think I'm going to attempt to create some structure to my "self-study" this year. Let's call it a new direction for the new year (I do not like making resolutions and in 2020 decided to call them targets or intentions).

Brainstorm with Myself on Humanities Self-Study Structure:

A. Notes on What to Study:

I haven't fully thought through what this structure will look like, but I do know that I'd like to begin with studying the creative works of women. I'm starting with writers at the moment and will move to musicians, photographers, painters, etc.

B. Notes on Documenting My Lessons:

See my "in progress" Humanities Timeline - Personal List of "Greats" 

Create separate blog entries for each subject matter, and then I can add to that particular blog as I learn or discover more on that subject. 

Create an index or contents blog entry that will link to the separate subject areas so that I can easily find them.

Add sources to all lessons (try to find 3 reputable ones for each sub-topic)

C. Why?

Because I like to be organized when I'm trying to understand the creative world around me. Organization gives me comfort and lowers my anxiety...while the creative world fulfills my "wild" or curious nature that MUST be tended to!


If you read this far and have any ideas for me, I'm very open to hear from you! Leave a comment. THANK YOU!






No comments: